Town Center of Virginia Beach shares advice on how to honor military and public safety personnel during “Hero Week.”
Have you struggled with ways to give back to those serving in the military and public safety organizations?
If so, you aren’t alone, and it’s not because you don’t care.
At times it can be difficult for individuals to know how to show their respect for military personnel and first responders. Some may worry that they don’t know how to express their support fittingly, and fear that they may come off indifferent or insensitive to the many sacrifices made.
Others feel overwhelmed by the vast numbers of charities and organizations to choose from when seeking to support those who dedicate their lives to keeping us safe and protected.
Below is a short list of ways you can show your appreciation any time of year to those serving in the military and public safety.
- Give a simple smile, nod, wave, a “Thank you,” or tip of the hat.
- Send a “Thank You” card or message. Some online programs make it easy to send your thank you to military personnel on deployment such as the USO’s Campaign to Connect.
- Donate to or visit your local veterans hospital or nursing home to brighten a veteran’s day.
- Foster pets while a service member is on deployment through programs like Dogs on Deployment.
- Send manufacturer coupons to military service members through OCP.
- Offer help to a military spouse and family during deployments. Tasks as simple as helping with yard work or winterizing the house can go a long way.
- Stay informed on how your donations support various charities through Charity Navigator.
- Business owners can offer discounts.
Regardless of how you choose to show your support, the thing to remember is that any small show of thanks is appreciated by those who have answered a calling to serve their country and communities.
To show their support this November, Town Center of Virginia Beach has organized their show of “thanks” during Hero Week. From November 5th-11th, Town Center of Virginia Beach businesses are running specials for all credentialed members of the military and public safety organizations.
“The professionals being honored during Hero Week respond to a calling to help their community and go about their daily activities without ever having the expectation that the community will recognize their efforts,” said Captain J. T. Orr, commanding officer of the Virginia Beach Police Department’s Third Precinct. “That said, a simple thank you from a member of the community can provide an indescribable sense of pride and satisfaction that the jobs we do are valued.”
From sparkling jewelry and delicious eats to clothing, primpings, and activities, these Town Center of Virginia Beach Hero Week specials aim to say thank you in a variety of ways.
“Town Center wanted to do something special to show our appreciation for the men and women who currently serve and have served our country and our local police, fire and rescue teams,” said Katie Caraviello, Business Development & Community Relations Manager for Town Center of Virginia Beach. “It’s our small way to honor these heroes for their tremendous & courageous efforts.”
Captain J. T. Orr acknowledges the Town Center of Virginia Beach’s support this November.
“The Town Center businesses have truly gone above and beyond to recognize and support our local heroes, and it is truly appreciated,”
For a full listing of the businesses providing discounts during Hero Week, click here.
Sponsored content brought to you by