This man was shot to death in Norfolk last Friday. The next day, police found the suspect dead inside a home

Southside Daily/Courtesy of Norfolk Police
(Southside Daily/Courtesy of Norfolk Police)

NORFOLK — Police here identified the man shot to death on West Ocean Avenue last Friday as 29-year-old Ernesto W. Crespo of Norfolk.

Officers were sent to that location at around 7 p.m. Friday after dispatchers “received multiple calls for shots heard in the 100 block of West Ocean Avenue,” police said.

They found Crespo there. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

The investigation led police to the 8700 block of Commodore Drive where a car matching the description of the suspect’s car was found.

The owner of the car, 22-year-old Robert J. Dabney, was inside a home, police said.

Members of the Norfolk Police Negotiation Team attempted to “make contact with Dabney but were unsuccessful.”

Around 12:25 p.m. Oct. 13, Dabney was found dead inside the home. His body was taken to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner for determination of the exact cause of death, police said.

Information on the circumstances surrounding Dabney’s death was not immediately released.

Always be informed. Get the latest news and information delivered to your inbox

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
SHARE
Previous articleCity of Virginia Beach offering free flu shots, dental exams
Next articleHampton Roads Chamber is hosting a mega mixer
John Mangalonzo (john@localvoicemedia.com) is the managing editor of Local Voice Media’s Virginia papers – WYDaily (Williamsburg), Southside Daily (Virginia Beach) and HNNDaily (Hampton-Newport News). Before coming to Local Voice, John was the senior content editor of The Bellingham Herald, a McClatchy newspaper in Washington state. Previously, he served as city editor/content strategist for USA Today Network newsrooms in St. George and Cedar City, Utah. John started his professional journalism career shortly after graduating from Lyceum of The Philippines University in 1990. As a rookie reporter for a national newspaper in Manila that year, John was assigned to cover four of the most dangerous cities in Metro Manila. Later that year, John was transferred to cover the Philippine National Police and Armed Forces of the Philippines. He spent the latter part of 1990 to early 1992 embedded with troopers in the southern Philippines as they fought with communist rebels and Muslim extremists. His U.S. journalism career includes reporting and editing stints for newspapers and other media outlets in New York City, California, Texas, Iowa, Utah, Colorado and Washington state.