Residents displaced following apartment fire in Norfolk

NORFOLK — Eighteen people are displaced following a fire that destroyed an apartment building here Wednesday night.

Norfolk Fire-Rescue Battalion Chief Harry Worley said crews were sent to the 700 block of West 27th Street at around 6:40 p.m.

“On arrival they found fire on the outside of the building in the rear,” Worley said. “As they started extinguishing the fire, fire was also spotted in a bedroom on the first floor and second floor.”

Worley said the blaze continued to the attic. A second alarm was called at that time.


“As the firefighting continued, it became apparent that for the safety of the personnel, all firefighters were ordered out and the fire was attacked with large streams,” Worley said. “After knocking the fire down and with the roof now collapsed, the decision was made to call the building inspector out for an emergency demolition.”

The Red Cross has provided shelter for the displaced residents. No injuries were reported.

The cause of the fire remains under investigation.

Always be informed. Get the latest news and information delivered to your inbox

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Previous articleLearn about cancer treatment options at the upcoming “Live Your Life” seminar
Next articleGladys Curles White, 88, retired from Barr’s Pharmacy after 35 years’ employment
John Mangalonzo ( is the managing editor of Local Voice Media’s Virginia papers – WYDaily (Williamsburg), Southside Daily (Virginia Beach) and HNNDaily (Hampton-Newport News). Before coming to Local Voice, John was the senior content editor of The Bellingham Herald, a McClatchy newspaper in Washington state. Previously, he served as city editor/content strategist for USA Today Network newsrooms in St. George and Cedar City, Utah. John started his professional journalism career shortly after graduating from Lyceum of The Philippines University in 1990. As a rookie reporter for a national newspaper in Manila that year, John was assigned to cover four of the most dangerous cities in Metro Manila. Later that year, John was transferred to cover the Philippine National Police and Armed Forces of the Philippines. He spent the latter part of 1990 to early 1992 embedded with troopers in the southern Philippines as they fought with communist rebels and Muslim extremists. His U.S. journalism career includes reporting and editing stints for newspapers and other media outlets in New York City, California, Texas, Iowa, Utah, Colorado and Washington state.