Body of missing canoer pulled from water in Virginia Beach

VIRGINIA BEACH — Divers Monday recovered the body of a man they say was involved in a boating incident in the 2300 block of Locksley Arch Sunday afternoon.

Authorities identified the man as 30-year-old David Stuart Molloy Jr.

Dispatchers received a call at around 3:36 p.m. Sunday about a “person in distress” in the water.

Police said two people “had gone into the water in a canoe in the Sherwood Lakes subdivision when the vessel capsized.”

One occupant clung to the vessel and was rescued. The other, Molloy, was seen “going under but did not resurface.”

Units from the Police Dive Team, Virginia Beach Fire Department and Virginia Beach Emergency Medical Services along with Department of Game and Inland Fisheries used sonar and other tools to search the lake bed.

That search was suspended Sunday night and resumed Monday morning — the body was recovered at 3:51 p.m.

Always be informed. Get the latest news and information delivered to your inbox

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Previous articleJames Albert-Manning ‘Jimmy’ Crain, 26, remembered for his keen wit and kind soul
Next articleAnother horse in Hampton Roads dead from Eastern Equine Encephalitis
John Mangalonzo ( is the managing editor of Local Voice Media’s Virginia papers – WYDaily (Williamsburg), Southside Daily (Virginia Beach) and HNNDaily (Hampton-Newport News). Before coming to Local Voice, John was the senior content editor of The Bellingham Herald, a McClatchy newspaper in Washington state. Previously, he served as city editor/content strategist for USA Today Network newsrooms in St. George and Cedar City, Utah. John started his professional journalism career shortly after graduating from Lyceum of The Philippines University in 1990. As a rookie reporter for a national newspaper in Manila that year, John was assigned to cover four of the most dangerous cities in Metro Manila. Later that year, John was transferred to cover the Philippine National Police and Armed Forces of the Philippines. He spent the latter part of 1990 to early 1992 embedded with troopers in the southern Philippines as they fought with communist rebels and Muslim extremists. His U.S. journalism career includes reporting and editing stints for newspapers and other media outlets in New York City, California, Texas, Iowa, Utah, Colorado and Washington state.