Eligibility requirements for the program:
- Residents must be age 65 or older, or be totally and permanently disabled.
- Homeowners must live in the property.
- The combined income of owners and relatives living in the home cannot exceed $67,000 per year.
- Net worth, excluding the home, cannot exceed $350,000.
For the 2018 Fiscal Year:
- The Norfolk Department of Human Services will accept applications postmarked by midnight Friday, June 1, 2018.
- All applicants must file annually.
- Available funding is determined annually.
- Relief will be provided as an exemption or deferral up to the average residential assessment of $203,386. Taxes on amounts more than $203,386 must be paid.
Applications are available online or at any Department of Human Services location.
For information about the Real Estate Tax Relief and Deferral Program for Seniors and Disabled Citizens, call 757-823-1130 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.