VIRGINIA BEACH — Progress continues on multiple interstate construction projects in the southside, which could eventually translate into alleviated traffic, according to the Virginia Department of Transportation.
- May 4 and 5 will see a single-lane closure on the Interstate 264 east ramp outside lanes to Newtown Road south, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closure on I-264 west, outside lanes, Newtown Road to I-64 interchange:
- May 4, May 5 from 11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- May 5, May 6 from 11 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- May 6, May 7 from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Other major road closure in Virginia Beach and Norfolk include work on the First Colonial Road exit ramp at I-264 and construction along Military Highway and Northampton Boulevard:
- Single-lane closure in both directions on First Colonial Road under I-264, May 4 and 5 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. The I-264 east off-ramp to First Colonial Road north will also be closed during those times.
- In Norfolk, alternating single-lane closures May 4 and 5, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. One lane will remain open at all times on:
- Military Highway between Valley Drive and Lynn Street.
- Princess Anne Road between Sigmon Street and Military Highway.
- Northampton Boulevard between Military Highway and past USAA Drive.
- Robin Hood Road between Military Highway and Miller Store Road.
- Eastbound and westbound traffic on East Princess Anne Road and Northampton Boulevard between Kempsville Road and Almeda Avenue/Kilmer Lane will be detoured during this operation.
An interactive view of the construction process is available on the VDOT website, which allows users to compare current images of construction.
The Newtown Road exit ramp project is estimated to be completed in October 2019, according to the VDOT website.