VIRGINIA BEACH — She-crab soup has been a staple of Hampton Roads restaurants for years, and this weekend will celebrate its tasty history with a festival at the Oceanfront.
The 10th Annual East Coast She-Crab Soup Classic will run from noon to 2:30 p.m. on Saturday. The event will take place inside the ballroom of the Virginia Beach Convention Center, located at 1000 19th Street.
The event is a cook-off competition between 20 area restaurants; those restaurants serve up respective recipes and compete for “people’s choice awards,” determined by ballots of those attending. The event is being sponsored by the Culinary Institute of Virginia.
“The blue crab is the iconic representative of all that is great about this amazing resource that is our home,” said CIV chef Greg Burroughs. “What better way to laud this regional delicacy than by bringing together chefs who love to make it and those who love to eat it?”
Participating restaurants include:
- 11th Street Taphouse Bar & Grille
- Black Pelican Seafood Company Greenbrier
- Blue Seafood & Spirits
- Busky’s Chill & Grill
- C.P. Shucker’s Café & Raw Bar
- Calypso Bar & Grill
- Captain George’s Seafood Restaurant
- Catch 31 Fish House & Bar
- Freemason Abbey Restaurant
- Fish & Slips Marina Raw Bar & Grill
- Irwin’s Pharmacy & Fountain
- Kelly’s Gingernut Pub
- Mahi Mah’s Seafood Restaurant & Sushi Saloon
- McCormick & Schmick’s Seafood & Steaks
- Murphy’s Irish Pub
- Passion The Restaurant
- Saltine @ The Main
- Soups Plus
- The Surry Seafood Company
- Tradewinds Restaurant
Participating “Critic’s Choice” judges:
- Judy Cowling — The Virginian-Pilot
- Patrick Evans-Hylton — Virginia Eats + Drinks
- Dave Nicholson — The Daily Press
- Chef Robert Patton — Culinary Institute of Virginia
The classic is a ticketed event, which cost $17.50 plus service charges and are available through all Ticketmaster outlets and the Virginia Beach Visitor Information Center. Tickets are $25 day-of-event, if available, according to the Beach Street USA website. Children 12 and younger who are not sampling and are accompanied by an adult are free.
Dogs and beach chairs are not permitted in the tasting area and the event is held rain or shine, according to the Beach Street website. For information, call 757-385-SURF.
Editor’s note: A previous version of this article stated that the 10th Annual East Coast She-Crab Soup Classic would take place outside, at 24th Street Park; however, due to forecasted inclement weather, organizers changed the event location to the Virginia Beach Cenvention Center.