VIRGINIA BEACH — Hampton Roads got hammered with snow during an overnight storm Wednesday into Thursday. Area schools, government offices and U.S. Navy bases have announced several cancellations over their normal schedules over the next 24 hours in anticipation of the heavy snowfall.
School closures and delays:
- Virginia Beach City Public Schools are closed on Thursday and Friday.
- Virginia Beach Parks & Recreation school-based before- or after-school programs at schools or recreation centers on Thursday are canceled. All recreation youth basketball and adult basketball practices scheduled for Thursday are canceled.
- Norfolk Public Schools are closed through Friday. Weekend sports are canceled.
- Chesapeake Public Schools have canceled all after-school activities Wednesday.
- Newport News Schools have canceled all after-school activities and athletic events Wednesday.
- Suffolk Public Schools have canceled all afternoon and evening activities on Wednesday.
- Hampton City Schools have canceled all after-school activities on Wednesday.
- Tidewater Community College will reopen on Monday, Jan. 8, to faculty and staff at noon and to the public at 1 p.m. Classes scheduled Jan. 8-9 are canceled. Special enrollment hours will be held those days. Go to http://www.tcc.edu for details.
- Virginia Aquarium boat trips are canceled through Saturday.
- Virginia Beach Circuit Court and the Virginia Beach Circuit Court Clerk’s Office will be closed Thursday.
- Virginia Beach Commonwealth’s Attorney’s Office will be closed Thursday.
- Norfolk government offices, including the Commonwealth’s Attorney’s office, courts, libraries and the USS Wisconsin, will be closed through Friday.
- Only “essential personnel” will be called into work at the area’s Navy bases, including Joint Expeditionary Base Little Creek-Fort Story, Naval Air Station Oceana, Naval Station Norfolk, Naval Support Activity Hampton Roads, Naval Weapons Station Yorktown and Norfolk Naval Shipyard.
- Sentara hospitals have clinical staff that are spending the night to ensure that the medical facilities can open on Thursday.
- Sentara medical group facilities are scheduled to open Thursday at noon; however, that plan could change depending on driving conditions.
- Sentara urgent care facilities will operate under their normal hours; however, that plan could change depending on driving conditions.
- The Port of Virginia is closed to inbound and outbound traffic.
- Amtrak has canceled service between Washington D.C. and Newport News for Thursday.
Further delays and closures are expected — refresh this page and check back often for the latest updates.
Send news tips to email@example.com.