VIRGINIA BEACH — Troopster, a website that provides military care packages and donations to military personnel, is setting up donation boxes throughout Virginia Beach to send to sailors aboard the destroyer USS Fitzgerald.
The Fitzgerald collided with a container ship off Japan on Saturday, killing seven sailors.
The drop boxes will be at several locations beginning Thursday at 11 a.m. through Saturday at 11 a.m. All are welcome to make care packages Saturday from noon to 2 p.m. at 1701 Baltic Ave.
Troopster, which was founded by Navy Sailor Chelsea Mandello, has sent more than 1,000 care packages to troops since 2015.
The drop boxes will be located at:
- 1701VB, 1701 Baltic Ave.
- Tastebuds Popcorn, 1255 Fordham Dr.
- Creative Wedge, 630 Hilltop West Shopping Center
- Buzz Franchise Brands, 2829 Guardian Lane, Suite 100 in the Lynnhaven Mall area
- Jody’s Popcorn, 205 Laskin Road
- Beef Jerky Outlet, 301 25th St.
- Beskin Insurance, 300 Southport Circle
- Top Golf, 5444 Greenwich Road
Send your story tips to firstname.lastname@example.org.