Fire caused by gas grill displaces three Virginia Beach residents and a cat

Three people were displaced when a gas grill caught their home on fire on May 17, 2017. (Courtesy the Virginia Beach Fire Department)

VIRGINIA BEACH — Three people and a cat were displaced from their home after a gas grill malfunctioned and caught fire Wednesday afternoon.

According to the Virginia Beach Fire Department, the back of the house, located on the 100 block of Coventry Road, caught fire around 2:15 p.m. when a man was trying to use grill when it failed.

The vinyl siding of the house was quickly engulfed and the fire spread to the roof.

Virginia Beach firefighters saved a house cat from a fire by giving it oxygen on May 17, 2017. (Courtesy of the Virginia Beach Fire Department)

Two people were inside, but got out of the house uninjured. A cat was also in the house, but was rescued. It was having trouble breathing at first, but survived after it was given oxygen by Virginia Beach firefighters.

Although investigators are trying to find out what went wrong with the grill, they have concluded that the fire was an accident.

Always be informed. Get the latest news and information delivered to your inbox

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
SHARE
Previous articleWilliam Wiginton ‘Bill’ Cox III, 72, member of The Vineyard Community Church
Next articleShawn ‘Gale’ Thrift, 64
Adrienne Mayfield is an award-winning, multi-media journalist hailing from Clermont, Fla. She moved to Lynchburg, Va. on a whim when she was 19, and worked her way to Hampton Roads in 2013. Adrienne is passionate about telling people stories via covering public safety and the judicial system. She isn’t afraid to take a heads-on approach to covering crime, including knocking on doors to get the details police aren’t sharing. Adrienne is a 2014 Old Dominion University graduate who still lives within walking distance of the college. You may see her cruising around Downtown Norfolk on her bike, enjoying a sandwich from Grilled Cheese Bistro or playing fetch with her dog, Greta, at the Colonial Place dog park.