VIRGINIA BEACH — Next election, some constituents will cast their vote at a new polling place.
City council Tuesday unanimously passed an ordinance designating new polling locations for the Trantwood, Courthouse, Foxfire, Pleasant Hall and Hillcrest districts.
“Every now and then, there are precinct changes,” Donna Patterson, director of elections, said in an interview. “But with a majority of these precincts we’ve recommended changes for this time, it’s because the facility where they were formerly housed at could no longer accommodate our needs.”
Here are the new polling places for these precincts:
- 009 Trantwood precinct – Church of the Holy Family at 1279 N. Great Neck Road
- 035 Courthouse precinct – Kellam High School at 2655 West Neck Road
- 060 Foxfire precinct – Wave Church at 2655 Seaboard Road
- 079 Pleasant Hall precinct – Emmanuel Episcopal Church at 5181 Singleton Way
- 087 Hillcrest precinct – New Castle Elementary School at 4136 Dam Neck Road
The local election board endorsed the changes the Office of Voter Registration and Elections proposed at its meeting March 9.
The only polling location that did not approach the city based on its accommodation abilities was the Courthouse Fire Station, but Patterson said it gets crowded there on Election Day.
“We’re moving it to accommodate more voters, so that they’re not standing outside as much,” Patterson said. “Going to Kellam High School gives us a lot more space to accommodate our voters.”
Follow Justin on Twitter @Justinbmmj or send him story ideas at Justin@SouthsideDaily.com