A lot happens on the Southside every day. Our newsroom sorts through hundreds of press releases every week to share the news that matters most to our community.
Southside Daily is unable to run every item submitted to the newsroom. However, following these guidelines will maximize the possibility that your news tip will get covered.
Submit a press release. Keep it concise, but complete. Include the name of the organization or individual submitting the release along with contact information. Make sure you submit the release in a timely manner. Send the press release to email@example.com.
Contact the newsroom after you’ve submitted your press release only if there is new, vital information to share. Do not call, text or email the newsroom with general updates, questions or reminders. If we need more information, we will contact you.
Local Voice believes in and welcomes civil dialogue, as it makes for better communities. While subscriptions to Southside Daily are free, to participate in some aspects of this service – such as posting comments on stories – you will need to sign in using your Facebook account.
We don’t run news stories with anonymous sources, which is why we do not accept anonymous comments.
We filter posted comments for adherence to our Terms of Service listed below, but not for accuracy and not because we believe everyone will agree with them. By commenting, you agree to these legal terms.
Terms of Service
As part of the community conversation, you agree to the following guidelines:
- Use civil language, meaning no profanity, veiled profanity or implied obscenities and no racist or sexually oriented language.
- Do not personally attack individuals. Similarly, threats will not be tolerated.
- Keep your comments relevant to the story.
- Be truthful.
- Keep your caps lock off. You may see this as being emphatic; others see it as yelling.
- Do not try to spam us or link to outside, irrelevant content. Likewise, solicitations or advertisements are not permitted.
The following are not permitted:
- Comments that become back-and-forth disagreements with other commenter(s);
- Comments by candidates or political parties intended to further a campaign;
- Comments that are invasive of the privacy of another person or entity;
- Comments that may infringe on any patent, copyright, trademark, service mark, trade secret or other intellectual property;
- Impersonating any person or entity, or falsely misrepresenting an affiliation with any other person or entity; and
- Posting under multiple pseudonyms.
- Comments which, for reasons not listed above, fail to contribute to the greater community discussion will be removed. We reserve the right but assume no obligation to remove any comment that we feel violates our Terms of Service.
While all of the above is important to us, posted comments do not reflect the views of Southside Daily or its affiliates and related staff.
We reserve the right to reveal all information submitted to us, including IP addresses, in the event of legal action arising from any comment.
By using this service, you agree to these terms. Failure to abide by these terms may result in a commenter being blocked from the site’s comments area.
Official Contest Rules
1. Winners will be drawn at random or by contestant call-in participation during on-air
2. Odds of winning depend on the number of entries.
3. No purchase is necessary.
4. Contestants must be legal U.S. residents.
5. Contestants must be at least 18 years old.
6. Present and past employees of Local Voice and its affiliates, along with family members and employees of other radio or television stations may not win any contest associated with Davis Media, LLC d/b/a Local Voice. Local Voice reserves the right to revoke any prize if the contestant does not meet any or all of the eligibility requirements, or if entry coupon or winning ticket has been damaged or altered.
7. All Local Voice contestants, on or off air, are limited to one winner per household (persons living at the same address) or immediate family per sixty (60) day period for all prizes having a total value of $100.00 or less; limited to one winner per household (persons living at the same address) or immediate family per one hundred twenty (120) day period for all prizes having a total value of $101 – $999; limited to one winner per household (persons living at the same address) or immediate family per one hundred eighty (180) day period for all prizes having a total value of $1000 or more.
8. Local Voice reserves the right to disqualify any entry or revoke any prize if the contestant does not meet any or all of the eligibility requirements.
9. Local Voice and its sponsors are not responsible for late, lost, damaged, incomplete, misdirected, illegible or mutilated entries.
10. No substitution or other consideration for the stated prize may be claimed. However, Local Voice reserves the right to substitute a prize of similar value at its sole discretion in the event of unavailability of a prize. All items won must be claimed within thirty (30) days of winning and must be claimed between 9AM and 5PM, Monday through Friday (except holidays) at a Local Voice office. Any item or prize with a weekend expiration date not claimed at a Local Voice office by 5PM on the Friday preceding the weekend expiration date will be forfeited with no compensation.
11. Prizes valued at less than $25.00 may (at the winner’s request) be mailed using first class U.S. Postal Service mail. Local Voice is not responsible for problems occurring within the postal system which may affect winner’s receipt of prizes.
12. An IRS 1099-MISC form will be completed and filed with the Internal Revenue Service for every prize (or combination of winnings) valued at $600 or more during the calendar year. All local, state and federal taxes are the sole responsibility of the winner. Winning contestants must show proof of Social Security numbers to Local Voice for any prize. This is for tax recording purposes only, and will not be used or released for
13. Local Voice is not responsible for any failure of communications, failure of the Internet or its web sites, or allegation of telephone difficulties. In the case of a dispute over telephone lines, the decision of Local Voice is final. In the event that two telephone lines are tied together during a phone contest, the entire phone call will be disqualified and another phone call will be taken. Local Voice cannot award duplicate prizes to both parties in a “tied together” situation. An example of a “tied together” call may be two telephone calls originating from the same location or residence or a party line.
14. All winning contestants are required to acknowledge these contest rules either by signing a Local Voice winner release form, or by acceptance of a prize by mail if the prize is not picked up at the offices as stated above.
15. All prizes are described by Local Voice either on the air, online or via signage at off-air events. Each prize has a predetermined value which is not negotiable. As a condition of winning a prize, a winner acknowledges that Local Voice reserves the right to broadcast their name and voice and to use their likeness or photo to promote the contest.
16. As a condition of accepting a prize, winner acknowledges that Local Voice is not responsible for any harm, injury, or damage caused to any person or property, proximate or otherwise, through the use of any prize by any person, and agrees to save and hold harmless Local Voice, its principals and employees from any claim of such responsibility. “Harm, injury, or damage” includes but is not limited to occurrences beyond the control of Local Voice such as bodily injury or theft, expiration of an item or a prize, and cancellation or alteration of an event.
17. Additional rules pertaining to specific contests may supplement or supersede these rules.
Date of last modification to Official Contests Rules: 5/30/2017