Update: More than 160 applied for Shipbuilding’s voluntary severance program

John F. Kennedy (CVN 79) at Newport News Shipbuilding (WYDaily Photo/ Courtesy of Huntington Ingalls Industries)
John F. Kennedy (CVN 79) at Newport News Shipbuilding (Southside Daily Photo/ Courtesy of Huntington Ingalls Industries)

NEWPORT NEWS – More than 160 people out of “more than” 2,500 eligible employees applied for Newport News Shipbuilding‘s voluntary severance program. And the shipbuilding company doesn’t plan on extending the deadline.

“Folks who didn’t apply for it will continue working as usual,” said Duane Bourne, spokesman for the shipbuilding company, a division of Huntington Ingalls Industries.

The deadline to apply for the voluntary severance program was Jan. 7.

Bourne said the company’s leadership is reviewing the applications, which will either be accepted or denied, and a small number of employees may be asked to stay a little longer to complete critical project and turnover.

Last month, NNS received additional funding to two existing Navy contracts, a combined $240 million, and is expected to receive a new contract for two aircraft carriers. Read more about the shipyard’s current projects here.

Bourne said the contracts don’t affect company’s restructuring in any way.

Newport News Shipbuilding plans to hire an additional 2,500 shipyard employees this year.

The exact number of employees eligible for the voluntary severance program remains unclear.

RELATED STORIES: 

Always be informed. Get the latest news and information delivered to your inbox

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
SHARE
Previous articleKnow your rights: Behind the driver’s wheel
Next articleHudson Robert Foschi, 4, delighted others with his brilliant intellect and comedic wit
John Mangalonzo (john@localvoicemedia.com) is the managing editor of Local Voice Media’s Virginia papers – WYDaily (Williamsburg), Southside Daily (Virginia Beach) and HNNDaily (Hampton-Newport News). Before coming to Local Voice, John was the senior content editor of The Bellingham Herald, a McClatchy newspaper in Washington state. Previously, he served as city editor/content strategist for USA Today Network newsrooms in St. George and Cedar City, Utah. John started his professional journalism career shortly after graduating from Lyceum of The Philippines University in 1990. As a rookie reporter for a national newspaper in Manila that year, John was assigned to cover four of the most dangerous cities in Metro Manila. Later that year, John was transferred to cover the Philippine National Police and Armed Forces of the Philippines. He spent the latter part of 1990 to early 1992 embedded with troopers in the southern Philippines as they fought with communist rebels and Muslim extremists. His U.S. journalism career includes reporting and editing stints for newspapers and other media outlets in New York City, California, Texas, Iowa, Utah, Colorado and Washington state.