VIRGINIA BEACH — Trials have been scheduled for two teenagers accused of killing two people and injuring others in a shooting spree last year.
The cases against Nicholas Isaiah Cates and Angelo Antonyio Worlds, both 18, were certified by a grand jury on Monday in Virginia Beach Circuit Court.
The men are accused in six shootings across Virginia Beach in November and December. The victims of the shootings include Zacarias Aguilar-Ayala, 34, and Christine Bender, 60, who both died in December.
The shootings include Nov. 29 on Skylard Drive; Nov. 30 on Old Clubhouse Road; Dec. 2 on Hawk Avenue; Dec. 4 on Campion Court; Dec. 7 on Dunnbury Court; and Dec. 7 on Old Cubhouse Road.
Both men were 17 years old at the time of the shootings. Cates turned 18 in January, and Worlds turned 18 in March.
Worlds is charged with first-degree murder in connection to the Dec. 2 death of Aguilar-Alaya in Tapo Mobile Park. He is also charged with three counts of aggravated malicious wounding and four counts of use of a firearm in the commission of a felony.
His trial is scheduled on June 5 in Virginia Beach Circuit Court.
Cates is charged with first-degree murder and use of a firearm in the commission of a felony in connection with Bender’s Dec. 4 death in the 900 block of Campion Court.
He is scheduled to go to trial on May 30 in Virginia Beach Circuit Court.
Cates was also charged with first-degree murder in Aguilar-Alaya’s death, but Virginia Beach Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court Judge Randall Blow dismissed the charge on March 28.
“The only evidence I have is that Mr. Cates was present,” at the time of the shooting, Blow said in court.
Virginia Beach Commonwealth’s Attorney spokeswoman Macie Allen said her office is re-evaluating the charge against Cates to determine if it should be reinstated.
A third teenager, 19-year-old Maurice Boney Jr., of the 3700 block of Canadian Arch, is also charged with first-degree murder in connection with Bender’s death, as well as use of a firearm in the commission of a felony and conspiracy. His trial is scheduled on May 31.
Mayfield can be reached at email@example.com.