Virginia Beach townhouse fire leaves one pet dead

Southsidedaily.com is your source for free local news and information in Virginia Beach

A townhouse fire on Hawk's Nest Way on Sunday, March 19, 2017, was started by unattended candles, firefighters said. (Courtesy of Virginia Beach Fire Department)
A townhouse fire on Hawk’s Nest Way on Sunday, March 19, 2017, was started by unattended candles, firefighters said. (Courtesy of Virginia Beach Fire Department)

VIRGINIA BEACH – A Sunday afternoon townhouse fire that was started by candles left one cat dead, officials said.

Around 2 p.m., dispatchers were notified of a residential fire in the 1300 block of Hawk’s Nest Way. First responders arrived on scene within five minutes of the call and saw smoke coming from the townhouse.

According to officials, firefighters extinguished flames in the living room and back bedroom. After investigating the home, firefighters determined that the fire had been started by candles that were left unattended.

Two people who were inside of the home escaped uninjured, officials said.