Man dead after being found at Virginia Beach storage facility fire

Southsidedaily.com is your source for free local news and information in Virginia Beach

A man was found unresponsive after a fire that started in a vehicle at Jack Rabbit Storage. (Photo courtesy of retired VBFD Master Firefighter Ray Smith)
A man was found unresponsive after a fire that started in a vehicle at Jack Rabbit Storage. (Photo courtesy of retired VBFD Master Firefighter Ray Smith)

VIRGINIA BEACH — A man died after he was found unresponsive inside of a burning storage unit Thursday evening, the city’s fire department said.

Shortly after 7 p.m., the fire department responded to a fire at Jack Rabbit Storage, located in the 5900 block of Providence Road. A Ford Escort station wagon was engulfed in flames and the fire spread to two nearby storage units.

Once firefighters were able to get inside one of the units they found the man with severe burns to his lower body. The man was difficult to spot because of the amount of debris and clutter in the unit, officials said.

The man was transported to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital where he later died.

The deceased has been identified but his name will not be released until next of kin are notified.

Investigators remained at the scene of the fire late into the evening and continue to investigate.

No firefighters were injured and fire damage was contained to two storage units. Other units were damaged by water.