Exhaust fan causes Norfolk house fire on Monday

Southsidedaily.com is your source for free local news and information in Virginia Beach

NORFOLK — Nobody was injured when an exhaust fan caused a fire in a Norfolk home on Monday morning.

Firefighters were dispatched to a fire in a one-story home on the 100 block of Abilene Avenue around 8:15 a.m. When they arrived, they found smoke throughout the house and a small fire inside a bathroom, according to a Norfolk Fire-Rescue news release.

Firefighters extinguished the fire within 10 minutes. An investigation ruled the fire as accidental, citing the exhaust fan inside the hallway bathroom as the cause.

A man and woman who live in the home were not injured and evacuated the house before firefighters arrived. They were not displaced from the home as a result of the fire.

SHARE
Previous articleRep. Scott Taylor called out at town hall for ‘blocking’ constituents on social media
Next articleAll clear given after bomb threat at Crossroads Elementary
Adrienne Mayfield is an award-winning, multi-media journalist hailing from Clermont, Fla. She moved to Lynchburg, Va. on a whim when she was 19, and worked her way to Hampton Roads in 2013. Adrienne is passionate about telling people stories via covering public safety and the judicial system. She isn’t afraid to take a heads-on approach to covering crime, including knocking on doors to get the details police aren’t sharing. Adrienne is a 2014 Old Dominion University graduate who still lives within walking distance of the college. You may see her cruising around Downtown Norfolk on her bike, enjoying a sandwich from Grilled Cheese Bistro or playing fetch with her dog, Greta, at the Colonial Place dog park.