Fireplace ashes blamed for house fire in Virginia Beach

Southsidedaily.com is your source for free local news and information in Virginia Beach

Improperly discarded ashes are to blame for a fire in Virginia Beach Monday morning. (Courtesy of VBFD)

Improperly discarded ashes are to blame for a fire in Virginia Beach Monday morning. (Courtesy of VBFD)

Discarded fireplace ashes are to blame for a fire at a single-family home Monday morning, the Virginia Beach Fire Department said.

Courtesy of VBFD.

Courtesy of VBFD.

Shortly after 5 a.m., a fire was reported outside of a home in the 1100 block of Inlynnview Road. The fire began in a plastic garbage bin outside the rear of the house where ashes were disposed of, officials said. The room over the garage was damaged extensively.

No injuries were reported to the occupants of the home or firefighters.

The family has been temporarily displaced.

The fire department stressed the importance of giving ashes at least four days to cool down before disposing them in a metal container far away from the home. The department also recommends wetting the ashes before throwing them away.

 

 

Comments

comments