Virginia Beach’s Tidewater Community College is extending its hours on two days this month for those who wish to register for fall classes or receive counseling in person, but have busy work schedules.
The special enrollment days will be Saturday, Aug. 6 from 9 a.m. to noon and Wednesday, Aug. 17 from 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Registration is also available online 24/7 . The additional hours and services are designed to help students register even if they can’t make it to campus during business hours, according to the college’s website.
“Our student population sometimes have jobs and childcare issues, so we try and make enrollment as easy as possible for them and offer as many options as possible so they can sign up easily,” Vicki Friedman, a campus communications officer, said in a phone interview.
On the special enrollment days, according to the college’s website, current and future students may:
- Take placement tests
- Meet with an advisor about academic goals and transfer options
- Get help with class registration
- Sign up for or complete orientation for new students
- Review financial aid status and payment options (Students are asked to bring documentation.)
- Pay tuition
- Register for on-campus child care
- Learn about campus life and organizations
- Visit the bookstore
- Meet with representatives from TCC’s Center for Military and Veterans Education
The college’s enrollment from 2014 to 2015 was 39,530. Among those students, 21,960 were on the Virginia Beach campus. About 60 percent of students were part-time. Roughly one-third of the entire enrollment was military-related, according to the college.
Fall semester classes begin on Aug. 22. Tidewater campuses are located in Chesapeake at 1428 Cedar Rd., in Norfolk at 300 Granby St., in Portsmouth at 120 Campus Dr. and in Virginia Beach at 1700 College Crescent. Regular business hours for the enrollment services office are Monday and Tuesday from 8:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. and Wednesday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.